Wednesday, July 15, 2009

One tent, no instructions

Last year my mother gave us her old tent. She wasn't going to use it anymore, and I figured with three young kids it was only a matter of time before they'd want to go camping. We would need a tent.

This year they wanted to go camping. You must understand that these are kids who freak out if a fly comes near them, so I haven't been eager to introduce them to the wild just yet. So we decided that last night we'd go camping in the back yard first to see how well they'd handle it.

Yesterday morning I dug out the tent to set it up. It's fairly large, a six-person model. The supporting poles were in about twenty pieces. There were no instructions. I'd slept in it maybe once--twenty years ago.

Well, my father shunned instructions, and some of his DNA lives on in me. I decided I could figure it out. The first break came when I realized that the poles were marked with color-coded labels; red, yellow, and blue. I logically deduced that each color group likely represented a single support structure.

From there it got easy, though I went through some trial-and-error in finding out the best sequence for assembly. But I got it up. I don't have pictures, and it's not necessary. It's a fairly standard model, really. The three sets of poles form three inverted U-shapes that attach to the tent itself front, middle, and back.

The tent I wish I had a picture of is the one we used when I was growing up. Now THAT was a tent. My dad, always the inventive penny-pincher, got hold of an old army surplus parachute. With a little sewing help from Mom, he modified that parachute into a tent. It required one long center pole, and then had ropes at four opposing points that could be staked down to pull out the sides. Loops around the edges would be used to stake it down.

We'd lay an old tarp on the ground, roll out the parachute over top of it, stake down the edges, put up the center pole, and then stake down the four corner ropes. There was a slit from the outside to near the center that served as the door, and could be tied shut from inside. When assembled the thing looked like some sort of mutant teepee.

Hang a lantern inside (I think Dad even welded a bracket on the center pole for that very purpose) and the entire thing glowed from within. It was really something. It served us well for many years.

Anyway, our first family camp-out was a success. Next time, however, I plan to spring for sleeping bags and some foam mattresses. We used blankets and quilts, and while we stayed warm enough, it could have been better. And there was a lump that took me awhile to figure out how to sleep around.

But the kids had a ball, and that's what matters. None of them wanted to go inside in the middle of the night. They probably slept better than I did. So who knows. Maybe in another year or two we might try it in the wilderness. Like my brother's back yard.

Oh, and remind me some time to tell you about my engineer brother-in-law and the "Pepto-Bismol Tent". That would be another good one to get pictures of.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the odd tent stakes, one of which was in the top of the pole to hold the top of the tent. That old silk tent was a marvel. I remember as a kid, rolling out from under the tent in the middle of the night and scaring Mom pretty good because I had disappeared. I think the lantern was held up by a rope hanging down from the top.

    ReplyDelete